Most law firms already have excellent lawyers; but lawyers in the most successful legal practices also have developed superior business and leadership skills.
Your colleagues need more than classroom training.
the Walker Clark difference
We provide the tools, methods, skills, and ongoing support that will enable lawyers to move their individual practices and the business objectives of their law firm forward. We do not produce traditional workshops. Our courses are focused business meetings that apply knowledge, skills, and methods to real-life issues in the business and the practice of its lawyers in the specific contexts of their practice groups and firms. We also custom-design each program to take advantage of the most cost-effective blend of distance learning technology and on-site person-to-person interaction.
However, Walker Clark goes four steps beyond traditional training.
- These are not off-the-shelf or generic programs. Each one is designed and configured to address the unique characteristics, challenges, and opportunities of your firm or practice group.
- We do not do one-time or "one off" training. Our programs are offered only in the context of an overall strategic or business initiative of the firm or practice group. Each program includes follow-up.
- Each course is performance-oriented. We do not waste your time or money on subjects that, although interesting, do not contribute directly to better performance. We help the individual and the organization to identify and track reliable measurements to assess progress and calculate return on investment.
- We focus on practical skills and know-how, not on business school theory or management philosophy.
What is a Walker Clark professional development program like?
Our team of multidisciplinary experts, each with decades of practical legal and business experience, custom-design a professional development curriculum for each client. Our goal is to provide a level of expertise, insight, and sophistication usually available only at the best LL.M. and M.B.A. programs, but with an immediate practical application that academic programs, by definition, cannot match.
Each component in a Walker Clark professional development curriculum is designed for the strategic goals and business objectives of our client, the existing levels of expertise and experience of the participants, and the professional culture of the organization. Our 2022 catalogue of program offerings includes issues that our clients are telling us are among the most important to the long-term success of their firms and every lawyer in them:
- A Conversation About Stress and Burnout
- Business Planning in Modern Law Firms
- Contingency Business Planning for Law Firms and Practice Groups
- Crisis Management
- How to Write and Manage and Profitable Proposal
- Managing the Marketing of Legal Services
- Managing Your Intellectual Capital
- Marketing and Sales Strategies and Skills
- Meeting Meeting Expectations: Practical Strategies and Methods for More Productive Meetings
- Negotiations for Lawyers: The Tactical Impact of Personality
- Principles of Effective Presentations
- Productive Performance Discussions
- Quality Assurance and Risk Management
- Quality Assurance, Productivity, and Profitability
- Sustainable Profitability in the Practice of Law
- The Global Lawyer: Business Skills and Cultural Fluency in an International Legal Market
- Time: A Lawyer's Most Powerful Practice Management Tool
- Understanding Law Firm Economics
- Workplace Culture and Performance
We can present any of these progams on-site or on-line. All sessions are live events, not pre-recorded, and can be scheduled for your time zone anywhere in the world.
For a complete description of the courses, their lengths, and our fixed fees for each one, download our 2022 Professional Development Catalogue.